With business travel spending projected to reach 1.6 trillion dollars by 20201, the risk of encountering falsified expenses and inflated business expenses also continues to grow. Currently, nearly 15% of all fraud involves expense reimbursement and the average organization is only able recover 10% of losses2
To keep up with the pace of business, while ensuring compliance, organizations require complete visibility into 100% of T&E transactions and the ability to take corrective action before any material loss.
CaseWare Analytics T&E Monitoring Solution Capabilities
The CaseWare Analytics T&E Monitoring solution provides organizations with immediate identification of non-compliant expenses before reimbursement approval. Key components of the solution include:
Without additional infrastructure, the CaseWare Analytics solution can integrate easily with any system including:
- T&E expense management systems such as Concur®, Apptricity®, SutiSoft®, etc.
- ERPs such as SAP®, Oracle®, Infor™, Workday®, Banner®, Microsoft® Dynamics, etc.
- Card provider data such Bank Of America® Works, J.P. Morgan, U.S. Bank®, etc.
- Level III data from Visa®, Mastercard®, AMEX®
- Data analysis scripting tools such as IDEA®, ACL™ and Arbutus™
Once an anomaly is identified, an alert is automatically sent to the business stakeholder for remediation. This workflow engine is customizable and will result in a streamlined process, which can include: multiple levels of escalation, strict deadlines for resolution, the requirement for supporting documentation, etc.
1 ACFE Report to the Nations on Occupational Fraud and Abuse: 2014 Global Fraud Study
2 Global Business Travel Association News Release, 2016
HAVE A QUESTION? CONTACT US
For more information about the CaseWare T&E Monitoring Solution contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Improper Claims and Expenses
- Identify duplicate claims across T&E and P-Cards (i.e., expenses charged as both an out-of-pocket expense and a card expense)
- Identify the same claim across multiple employees’ expense reports
- Identify costs outside of policy or costly late bookings
- Identify whether appropriate seat class is used
- Identify if the employee has refunded a first-class ticket for an economy and not refunded the balance to the company
- Identify employees claiming to travel to multiple cities on the same day
Car and Gas Mileage
- Match claims for personal vehicle usage and rental car for same time period
- Identify instances where mileage claims were made for the same time period as car rental/gas/other transport
- Compare mileage claims to distances reported
Lodging and Meals
- Identify suites with multiple employees requesting reimbursement for the same room
- Identify lodging expenses that are outside the norm (by location, month, etc.)
- Identify returning home early and claiming to have stayed in a motel
- Identify duplicate claims for meals (i.e. multiple persons, same day, same location)
- Identify weekend and holiday purchases
- Identify expense claims for periods when the employee is on vacation
- Identify airfare payments/claims for which there are no corresponding hotel or meal charges
- Identify travel and entertainment claims that never materialized (i.e. canceled airline tickets, seminars, conferences, conventions, tuition, professional dues)
- Identify credits that have not been reported on an expense report but corresponding debits have been reported and reimbursed to the employee
Anti-Bribery and Corruption
- Determine high-risk countries and locations (Transparency International)
- Identify high-risk transactions (i.e., consulting fees, etc.) and/or high-risk personnel (i.e., government officials, agents, consultants, facilitators, etc.)
- Identify transactions authorized by same requester
- Examine travel expense data to identify employees who consistently claim amounts just below approval thresholds
- Identify potential non-reviewed approval of expenses
- Identify potential split transactions to circumvent card limits (i.e., same or multiple employee(s), merchant and date)
- Identify transactions just below approval limits (i.e., within X% of spend limits)
- Identify transactions with missing receipts
- Identify transactions made by ex-employees
- Unusual increase in the cardholder’s average spend and/or highest spend amount
- Identify patterns of unusually large T&E claims compared to employees in a similar role
- Benchmark employee spend against peers
- Identify vendors with higher activity than others in same MCC
- Identify vendors with high amounts and frequency to determine top vendors
- Ensure no vendors are on the OFAC terrorist watch list
- Identify average expense transaction sizes by business unit/division/ department to identify business divisions with high expenses.
- Search for basic keywords and/or phrases in expense descriptions and reports to identify invalid claims
CaseWare Integration with Concur®
CaseWare Analytics and Concur have partnered to bring you insights into your P-Card and T&E programs. As a Concur customer you can extract and analyze expense report data using CaseWare’s solution to detect exceptions and anomalies, so you can be assured that program objectives are being met.
CaseWare’s integration with Concur reduces the effort involved in requesting and acquiring data for processing. Benefits include:
- Significantly reduced time to acquire data
- Automated data transfers from Concur to the Travel and Entertainment solution
- No need for data dumps
- Ability to extract data based on any frequency
- Secured data transfers between Concur and the Travel and Entertainment solution
How it works?